In May 2006, the Chief Academic Officers from each of UCF’s six partner colleges and administrators at UCF met to discuss ways to align their curriculum. The working group determined to begin with math, asking faculty to determine which courses should be discussed. In September 2006, faculty from UCF and five (at the time) partner institutions of the DirectConnect to UCF consortium agreed to meet the following January and focus on key lower-division courses of College Algebra, Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus Algebra. Over the first four years, a group of approximately 20 math faculty members met to complete a suggested course alignment topic for the various math courses and to agree on topics and outcomes. The sixth partner college engaged in discussions upon joining the DirectConnect to UCF consortium. Discussions continue today on the these and additional mathematics and statistics courses.
Mathematics and Statistics courses being discussed for alignment:
- MAC 1105 College Algebra
- MAC 1114 Trigonometry
- MAC 1140 Precalculus Algebra
- MAC 1147 Precalculus Algebra and Trigonometry
- MAC 2233 Calculus for Business
- MAC 2311 Calculus with Analytic Geometry I
- MAC 2312 Calculus with Analytic Geometry II
- MAC 2313 Calculus with Analytic Geometry III
- MAP 2302 Ordinary Differential Equations
- MAT 1033 Intermediate Algebra
- STA 2023 Statistical Methods I
- Additional courses are currently under consideration and include: Finite Mathematics, Explorations in Mathematics
Note: The “X” in the course number indicates that the lower-division course is taught as either a 1000- or 2000-level. The course title will vary by institution.
News and Announcements
To the faculty and advisors engaged in Curriculum Alignment, resources to support discussions are found on the MS Teams site. This includes meeting agendas and minutes, syllabi, and other course resources.